Gadi_jupyter script no longer working (for some users) - Is there a fix?

It seems like the beloved gadi_jupyter script has hit a snag and needs an update to deal with the migration to Notebook 7(?). A job will still start when submitting the script, but the jupyter notebook session won’t load. I don’t think this script is updated anymore (is that right?), but I know many people still work with it (it’s so great - thanks Scott). Does anyone know if there’s a fix in this case?

Job starts but won’t load:

From the pbs.log:

2 Likes

A possible work-around is use an older version of the conda environment that has a compatible version of jupyter notebook.

FYI here is the repo for the script

and the relevant command line argument would be -e analysis-23.01

Hi all

Sorry about that. This should be fixed now, you’ll need to run git pull in your nci_scripts directory to get the latest version of the gadi_jupyter script, then try again.

1 Like

Is this fix backwards compatible for the stable conda environment? Or should folks only update if they plan to use the unstable conda environment?

So the issue was that the gadi_jupyter script was running jupyter notebook, which, as of the 2023 envs no longer launches a jupyter lab session. All I’ve done is changed it to jupyter lab. This is how ARE launches its underlying conda environments anyway, so its definitely compatible with the earlier environments.

Out of interest what makes you prefer the script instead of using ARE?

Thanks Scott! I think it’s just been a combo of:

• Code/analysis originally working faster using the gadi_jupyter script than on ARE, although I haven’t noticed much of a difference as of trying out ARE this morning.
  • Being able to see the dask dashboard with the gadi_jupyter script (when I first used ARE I couldn’t see this, but I think it’s there now).
  • More customisable in terms of cpus/memory requests.
  • Ease (just open a terminal, start the script and a job will open without needing to start up a browser and login to ARE ).
  • And of course, habit.

I just encountered the same problem and pulled the latest version, but now I get this error:

./gadi_jupyter -t 12:00:00 -n 48
WARNING: Using a large number of CPUs in an interactive session can waste lots of NCI compute time. Try keeping the number of CPUs under 8.
Proceed? [y/N] y
Starting notebook on gadi.nci.org.au...
Working directory: /scratch/e14/cs6673/tmp/runjp
qsub -N jupyter-lab  -q 'normal' -l 'ncpus=48,mem=180gb,walltime=12:00:00,jobfs=100gb'

Notebook running as PBS job 87756045.gadi-pbs

Starting tunnel...

Start a Dask cluster in your notebook using the Dask panel of Jupyterlab, or by
running (needs kernel analysis3-20.01 or later):

---------------------------------------------------------------
import climtas.nci

climtas.nci.GadiClient()
---------------------------------------------------------------

Opening http://localhost:8888/lab?token=483c034f-a88c-4d32-a2ff-03d2e068b58b

Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "/g/data/hh5/public/apps/nci_scripts/qmonitor", line 26, in <module>
    import pandas
  File "/g/data/hh5/public/apps/miniconda3/envs/analysis3/lib/python3.9/site-packages/pandas/__init__.py", line 138, in <module>
    from pandas import testing  # noqa:PDF015
  File "/g/data/hh5/public/apps/miniconda3/envs/analysis3/lib/python3.9/site-packages/pandas/testing.py", line 6, in <module>
    from pandas._testing import (
  File "/g/data/hh5/public/apps/miniconda3/envs/analysis3/lib/python3.9/site-packages/pandas/_testing/__init__.py", line 65, in <module>
    from pandas._testing._warnings import (
ModuleNotFoundError: No module named 'pandas._testing._warnings'
Closing connections... (Ctrl-C will leave job in the queue)

Hi Christina

I’m looking into this now, unfortunately I can’t replicate it. I’ve verified those paths exist, and that pandas._testing._warnings imports cleanly. Usually a ModuleNotFoundError comes from a file just not being there, but /g/data/hh5/public/apps/miniconda3/envs/analysis3/lib/python3.9/site-packages/pandas/_testing/_warnings.py exists too, so I’m at a loss at this stage as to why this is failing for you.

I’ve updated the launcher script that qmonitor users to exclude packages installed via pip install --user. Can you try again and see if that has made a difference?

Dale

Hi Dale,

thanks it works now, but I also found a problem in my .bash_profile where I was still loading analysis3-22.10. I changed that to analysis3.

1 Like