Words of Warning about MOM6 calendar format for forcing

Not a question, just trying to save other people the same headaches.

When giving attributes to your time data (in my case for the OBC Brushcutter), the format needs to be something like “days since 1900-01-01T00:00:00”

If you try and use “days since 1900-01-01 00:00:00” which is what the FMS documentation actually says then it will break. The FMS version for GFDL’s MOM6 examples as of the start of the year was several years behind the FMS repo, so perhaps this is the reason for the discrepancy?

Also make sure that your time units are a double even if you’re just passing on integer days.

Another thing that’s good to know: As long as you set your start date to your intended year in input.nml (eg 2015-01-01), mom6 doesn’t even care what years you pass it, but it is fussy about time of day. For example, if your unit format is “days since 1900-01-01T12:00:00” it will complain because it wants to start the model from midnight given you’re passing integer days.

Please respond in thread if my observations are wrong? The only documentation I could find on this was incorrect, so I’ve come to these conclusions mostly through trial and error.

1 Like