ACCESS-CM2 pacemaker set ups

Hi all,

I am wanting to setup a pacemaker experiment in ACCESS-CM2, using a different restoring climatology for each model year.
I already know how to set up an experiment that restores to the same climatology for each model year over a region mask. This is done by adding the following to



and changing lines in this file



However I want to change the file that is used to restore at each model year/cycle or use one restoring file that has 50 years of data instead of 12 months to restore

I am hoping someone will be able to assist in setting this up?

It would be similar to the pacemaker setup in this study but using SST restoring

Thanks in advance!

1 Like

Similar work has been done on ESM, however I forgot how to and need do dig it out. Meanwhile, to make it simple we can just copy Dave’s run (u-bx973):




However, need to be noted that Dave has modify the code:
so that you need to use his suit


cp -rf /home/599/dhb599/ACCESS-CM2/submodels/mom5_access2_TASST $CYLC_SUITE_SHARE_DIR/mom

If you can not access P66, I have copied to


Let me know if you need more info.


Thanks so much for this!
I’ll take a look and let you know how it goes in the next few days.

I am assuming that this means the restoring SST file needs to be labelled in this format where $THISYEAR is the model year? So if I change this the directory and file name to where I have my specific yearly climatology files as long as it has $THISYEAR it should work right?

My restoring files would be monthly, so I assume they would work, or do they need to be daily?

monthly should work.

Thanks again
The bx973 suite looks like it is a branched historical experiment. My other pacemaker experiment is branched from a piControl experiment.

I am wondering if there is much I need to change, to ensure that runs are identical except for the SST restoring values? just turn off time varying gas mmr and change restart files/dates?

In other suites I have used, there is usually a warm restart directory, start date etc under Run Initialisation and cycling, but in this suite that I have copied it seems to be under jinja2 but this also has other options like things for ozone which I am not sure is the same as the other suite.

This is side by side view of the suites left is bx973 copy I am modifying and right is my first experiment that has run (cw323)

I am also wondering, what is the restoring timescale in this suite, or do you know how to check/change?

Let me know what if you can answer any of this, thanks!


Also, for the SST restoring file, what should the time dimension look like? I can’t check Daves files as I don’t have permission. This is what I have at the moment:

        double TIME(TIME) ;
                TIME:long_name = "time" ;
                TIME:units = "days since 0000-01-01 00:00:00" ;
                TIME:time_origin = "01-JAN-0000 00:00:00" ;
                TIME:modulo = 365.242492675781 ;
                TIME:axis = "T" ;
                TIME:calendar = "gregorian" ;

if based on piControl, your changes are shown as following:


if [ -d mom ] ; then
  rm -rf mom
module load git
#dhb599: git clone -b CM2-0.1 $CYLC_SUITE_SHARE_DIR/mom
#dhb599: use local code modified for the SST pacemaker exp
cp -rf /home/599/dhb599/ACCESS-CM2/submodels/mom5_access2_TASST $CYLC_SUITE_SHARE_DIR/mom

Dave modified the mom code directly.




The rest keep using the one from piControl. (follow yours no need to use Dave’t)

as for the starting year ( I guess, you can give a test. Getting old can’t remember everything sorry, but I hope this is the one)



The modified code is in Dave’s home directory which isn’t necessarily accessible to everyone. It should be pushed to GitHub. Probably as a branch on a fork, but even better if it could be incorporated into MOM5 in a way that it could be “turned on” with a namelist option or compiler pre-processor flag.

NB: Arnold, I modified the suite changes to be in code blocks instead of block quotes. That way whitespace is preserved correctly, long lines are rendered better and it is simple to copy the code changes with the in-built copy to clipboard functionality of code blocks. Hope that is ok.

Many thanks, Aidan!!! Somehow code blocks are not working with my school email address but my personal one, many thanks for your help.

Dave’s code … mmmm I will have a separate email with you. But many years ago Arrian has done one without changing the code. I need to double-check with her. I forget how to do it.

1 Like