ACCESS-OM2 Control Experiments

This will be very helpful for my current perturbation test project (even though it exceeds the resources I have). I also believe this will benefit the community, as we have not yet gotten any 01deg-BGC run under the RYF. Additionally, using RYF should allow the model to reach a steady state more effectively compared to using IAF, which may be good reason for implementing the WOMBAT iron updates.

I think this could be a useful run to do - there are resources about in the COSIMA community, as well as at ACCESS-NRI … so why not?

i’ve been hoping to get the 01 RYF with BGC run going for a while. We also need to redo the 025 run that I did last year, but screwed up the O2 initial conditions (warning … don’t make this mistake again).

I reckon if we’re going to invest substantial resources in this - i.e. maybe we want a 100+ year spinup to get the BGC somewhat equilibrated, we should discuss whether it’s a good idea to wait for the iron updates. The current simulation as I understand it is not really any good for looking at BGC at the Antarctic margins, because the iron is so wrong.

Hey all,

Just to update you on progress, I’ve managed to get comfortable working with WOMBAT and running 1deg simulations with MOM5.

I’ve also managed to add a new tracer to the model as a smell test. Working well.

Next job is to add a prognostic chlorophyll tracer, which will be useful for development of the iron cycle, since 80% of phytoplankton Fe use is in the photosynthetic apparatus.

Pearse

3 Likes

For anyone interested, I have extended the last cycle of the 025deg_jra55_iaf_omip2 run through to the end of 2023 using JRA55 v1.5.0.1 forcing. You can find this at /g/data/ik11/outputs/access-om2-025/025deg_jra55_iaf_omip2_cycle6_jra55v150_extension. Details added to the table.

1 Like