git and GitHub effectively are a sticking point for many in the community, preventing them from participating fully and reducing their productivity.
We would like to add links to existing training materials on
ACCESS-Hive. If you have some ideas for great git and/or GitHub documentation or tutorials head on over to the related issue and add your suggestions:
This file has been truncated.
**Authors**: [Alberto F. Martin](https://research.monash.edu/en/persons/alberto-f-martin), [Santiago Badia](https://research.monash.edu/en/persons/santiago-badia-rodriguez)
<a rel="license" href="http://creativecommons.org/licenses/by-nc-sa/4.0/"><img alt="Creative Commons Licence" style="border-width:0" src="https://i.creativecommons.org/l/by-nc-sa/4.0/88x31.png" /></a><br />This work is licensed under a <a rel="license" href="http://creativecommons.org/licenses/by-nc-sa/4.0/">Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-ShareAlike 4.0 International License</a>.
<!-- TOC -->
- [1. Introduction to Version control](https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Versioncontrol) using [Git (*2h 40min*).](#1-introduction-to-version-controlhttpsenwikipediaorgwikiversioncontrol-using-git-2h-40min)
- [1.1. Version Control in a nutshell](#11-version-control-in-a-nutshell)
- [1.2. Why Git?](#12-why-git)
- [1.3. Accessing Git and our first Git command](#13-accessing-git-and-our-first-git-command)
- [1.4. Initial configuration options](#14-initial-configuration-options)
- [1.5. Creating a **local** Git repository](#15-creating-a-local-git-repository)
- [1.6. The concept of staging area. Creating our first commit](#16-the-concept-of-staging-area-creating-our-first-commit)
- [1.7. Modifying an already tracked file. Viewing the diff](#17-modifying-an-already-tracked-file-viewing-the-diff)
- [1.8. Backing up and shipping the local repository on GitHub](#18-backing-up-and-shipping-the-local-repository-on-github)
- [1.8.1. Creating an account on GitHub](#181-creating-an-account-on-github)
- [1.8.2. Connecting to GitHub with SSH keys](#182-connecting-to-github-with-ssh-keys)
- [1.8.3. Creating a new GitHub project (and associated Git repository)](#183-creating-a-new-github-project-and-associated-git-repository)
- [1.8.4. Pushing into the remote Git repository at GitHub](#184-pushing-into-the-remote-git-repository-at-github)
- [1.9. Cloning a remote repository](#19-cloning-a-remote-repository)
- [1.10. Working alone. The commit+push cycle](#110-working-alone-the-commitpush-cycle)
and references at the end.