Session 7: Next steps and wrap-up

This topic contains discussions, questions and thoughts for Session 7: Next steps and wrap-up
Time: 1:45 - 3:30 pm

Is reproducibility and provenance of inputs and outputs part of the data workflow?

1 Like

NUOPC automatic remapping of fields between components will relieve some of the pain of changing resolution, and coupling via exchange grids avoids degrading the resolution of fluxes passed between a high resolution component and a lower resolution component

1 Like

On resourcing CM3: as Christian Jakob mentioned yesterday: trillion $ decisions are being made based on models built on a shoe-string budget (and almost entirely reliant on international partnerships). It’s time for this to change if Australia wishes to be prepared properly for upcoming climate change.

2 Likes

If ESMValtool can only handle CMIP style data does that mean it is useless for other scientific research problems which are not specifically CMIP?

1 Like

Some notes from the discussion:

• Writing out the options and resources/current capacity available (avenue for funding).
  • 2-3 options:
    a. bid CSIRO does it
    b. community/consortium approach
  • Importance of Involving EMCRs
  • If some of the ACCESS-NRI submissions lean in CMIP7 will help for next round
  • Options page, Business case or project plan?
  • Important decisions need to be made with different timelines
  • Can we learn from CMIP7 – do we need a CMIP7 coordinator role?
  • Climate projections example . Should we have Climate modelling?
  • Write a draft report within a week
  • Involving the department (s)

Yes, I think ESMValTool expects CMORised data. I see that it provides a set of CMORisers that can be included in the evaluation workflow. I wonder how robust/versatile these are :thinking: