ACCESS-ESM1.5: Release Information

ACCESS-ESM1.5

:rocket: Release: 1.1

https://github.com/ACCESS-NRI/access-esm1.5-configs/releases/tag/release-preindustrial%2Bconcentrations-1.1

https://github.com/ACCESS-NRI/access-esm1.5-configs/releases/tag/release-historical%2Bconcentrations-1.1

Getting started

Updates

:white_check_mark: Update ocean diagnostic profiles #75, #76
:white_check_mark: Update MOM5 executables and remove unused inputs #79, #80
:white_check_mark: Update atmosphere diagnostic profiles #81, #82
:white_check_mark: Increase requested jobbfs memory #84, #85

Notes

Changes to diagnostic profiles:

• A bug in 1D MOM5 output was identified when saving one variable per file. 1D variables are now saved together in a single file alongside geolat_c as a workaround.

• BGC outputs are saved with an oceanbgc prefix for compatibility with ACCESS-OM2 outputs and ease of use.

• All ocean scalar variables are now saved together in a single file for compatibility with ACCESS-OM2 outputs and ease of use.

• Unavailable MOM5 variables rhobarz and temp_runoffmix were removed from the ocean diagnostic profiles.

• Atmosphere variable fld_s03i229 : EVAP FROM SOIL SURF -AMOUNT KG/M2/TS has been removed from both profiles, as it is a rescaled version of fld_s03i296: Evaporation from soil surface.

• The following 2D variables were added to the daily output for both profiles: fld_s03i217: SURFACE SENSIBLE HEAT FLUX, fld_s03i223: SURFACE TOTAL MOISTURE FLUX, fld_s03i234: SURFACE LATENT HEAT FLUX, fld_s08i234: SURFACE RUNOFF RATE, fld_s08i235: SUB-SURFACE RUNOFF RATE

Changes to required input files:

The ocean input files ocmip2_fice_monthly_om1p5_bc.nc and ocmip2_xkw_monthly_om1p5_bc.nc were previously required for the model to run, however were not used by the model. Updates to the MOM5 executables has allowed these input files to be omitted from the configurations.

Limitations

:stop_sign: Maximum model run-time of 1 year per queue submission
:stop_sign: Not directly compatible with equivalent CLEX payu configurations

Known Issues

:warning: Ice diagnostics measuring a rate are incorrect
:warning: Occasional extreme sea-ice thickness in isolated grid cells
:warning: Excessive logging from CICE model
:warning: The historical forcing configuration does not reproduce CMIP6 r20 due to an error in the ancillaries for that experiment
:warning: netCDF file naming will be updated to provide date and frequency information.

Credits

:star: ACCESS-ESM1.5 was developed by CSIRO (Ziehn T, Chamberlain MA, Law RM, Lenton A, Bodman RW, Dix M, Stevens L, Wang YP, Srbinovsky J, 2020: The Australian Earth System Model: ACCESS-ESM1.5. Journal of Southern Hemisphere Earth Systems Science 70 , 193–214, CSIRO PUBLISHING | Journal of Southern Hemisphere Earth Systems Science)
:star: payu configurations were adapted from work by The Centre of Excellence for Climate Extremes (CLEX)
:star: Model build infrastructure @paulleopardi @harshula
:star: Configuration development and testing @spencerwong @paulleopardi @MartinDix @anton @minghangli @dougiesquire @Aidan
:star: Related payu development @jo-basevi @spencerwong @anton
:star: Model post-processing @bend @spencerwong @MartinDix @atteggiani
:star: Testing and deployment infrastructure @TommyGatti @jo-basevi @Aidan
:star: Documentation @spencerwong @atteggiani @Aidan @jasmeen_kaur

Support

Replies to this topic are disabled.

If you have specific questions about this release follow the guidelines for requesting support from ACCESS-NRI .

If you have questions about access-esm create a topic in Earth System and tag it with access-esm. If you require assistance follow the guidelines for requesting help.

Resources

2 Likes