ACCESS-NRI Skillshare

Fortran and memory handling

Possibly covering:

When to use pointers or alloc calls
Variable scope (best practice in module / subroutine / function scope)
Variable ‘save’ attribute
MPI_broadcast calls

CMIP7 experiments

Trying to give an overview of the CMIP acronym jungle.

What do all the experiment names: pi-control, historical, abrupt-4xCO2, ssp370… mean? What are the important ones? What is a MIP (CMIP, PMIP, LMIP, OMIP, ScenarioMIP etc…)? What is DECK? What is FastTrack? Etc.

PBS, PBS Jobs, Queues and PBS at NCI

NUOPC - coupler choice for future CMIP7 ACCESS models

Overview of NUOPC and why it is the coupler choice for the next generation of ACCESS models for CMIP7.

Using slack to organise team activities

The Model Release and Ocean Sea-Ice teams have been using daily slack stand-ups and utilising the slack channel for team comms and collaboration.

This would be a short session sharing what the teams has found useful (and maybe not useful).

@Aidan has volunteered to present this, but would be very collaborative and any input is welcome.

Code reviews on GitHub

From the retreat it was identified that code reviews are a great vehicle for collaboration and also skill development, but it was hard to get reviews from other teams.

Some reasons for this:

1. Some don’t always feel the have the skills/knowledge for a review
  2. It can be a large time commitment to understand a completely different field/context for a review, which puts people off
  3. There isn’t the same level of skill/knowledge/experience reviewing code, and using GitHub for reviews. This can be an impediment to contributing.

This skillshare would discuss some approaches for communicating about the scope of a review, which can help to lower the barrier to contribution.

We could also discuss some specifics about what is a good review, and how to review using GitHub. Note there is already a skillshare suggestion about that

@aidan has volunteered to give lead this skillshare

NCI Overview

Overview of NCI, its stakeholder/entitlements model and basic how-tos for user and project self-management.

REVERSE SKILLSHARE SESSION

This is a session for anyone to get help/suggestions regarding any matter (often software/code based) in their everyday job.

WRITE YOUR MATTER BELOW THIS POST

If you want to present a matter to the session, please comment below with an overview of the matter.
You can also present the matter directly at the session, but precedence will be given to the matters already present in the list below, in order of appearance.

Example:
I would like to speed up the startup of my Python CLI package. How can I check what’s causing most delay? How can I try and solve the problem?