Nitrogen deposition ancillary file for SSP370 for ACCESS-ESM1.5

Hi,

we require help with generating the nitrogen deposition ancillary file for our future Scenario SSP3-7.0 with ACCESS-ESM1.5. I turns out we used the SSP2-4.5 nitrogen deposition for those runs in the past and we don’t actually have the correct SSP3-7.0 data set.

The nitrogen deposition fields are available from input4MIPS and the UKMO has a script to get this in the right format for the UM. This has also been briefly discussed with @MartinDix and Martin already provided some suggestions on how to get this done.

Thank you.

Cheers,
Tilo

https://code.metoffice.gov.uk/trac/ancil/wiki/CMIP6/ForcingData/NitrogenDeposition describes creation of the ancillaries and points to a python script used to generate them from the input4MIPS source. It says only 1-2.6, 2-4.5 and 5-8.5 versions were created.

However the 3-7.0 source files are available from input4MIPS (e.g. Data Information View) so we should be able to do it.

I think this would be useful way to get more familiar with ants as well as helping Tilo.

I will have a look at it!

Hi @atteggiani. Do you have an update on this? Anything I can help with?

Cheers,
Tilo

Hi @tiloz,

Sorry I have starting looking at it more in details only today.
However, I already have almost all the steps sorted out.

I need to check that the script I wrote is effectively producing what you need, and I will then send you the path to the Nitrogen deposition ancillary file for SSP370 (together with the script used to create it).

Cheers
Davide

Great. Thank you @atteggiani!

Cheers,
Tilo

Hello @tiloz,

I need a bit more information on some specifics of what you want, to produce the ancillary file with all correct headers.

Can you please point me to the SSP2-4.5 file you used in the past for the experiment?

Thank you,
Davide

Hi @atteggiani. You can find the nitrogen deposition file that we used for our SSP245 simulations here:

/g/data1a/p66/txz599/data/ancil/CMIP6/Ndep_2014_2101_ssp245.anc

Cheers,
Tilo

Hi @tiloz,

Thank you for providing your file.

You can find the Nitrogen deposition for SSP370 here: /scratch/public/dm5220/tilo/ndep_2015_2099_ssp370_esm1.5.anc

The script to create the file is make_nitrogen_deposition_ancil.py.

I have also created a public gist → Example of how to create the Nitrogen deposition ancillary file for ACCESS-ESM1.5 from a netCDF source. · GitHub

Please let me know if you have problems running ACCESS-ESM1.5 with the file.

Cheers
Davide

Thanks @atteggiani! I will have a look at the file.

Cheers,
Tilo

Hi @atteggiani,

I had a look at the file and I think the numbers are too small. From your script it looks like you are only including the “drynhx” component. I think there are four components: dry and wet nitrate (drynoy and wetnoy) and dry and wet ammonium (drynhx and wetnhx) that go into the nitrogen deposition field. This should all be all available from input4mips.

Also, the model requires an additional year of data at either end (for interpolation), which means we need the nitrogen deposition data set from 2014 to 2101 to run our simulation from 2015 to 2100. The 2014 data can be obtained from the last year of the historical period and the 2100/2101 I think are just a repeat of the last year available.

Cheers,
Tilo

Hi @tiloz,

In the ancillary file you provided (/scratch/public/dm5220/tilo/ndep_2015_2099_ssp370_esm1.5.anc) there is only one field (STASH 884) for the nitrogen deposition.
Where are the other fields you mention?

For the values being too small, they are sensible with the source file I used.

I calculated the units for the Nitrogen deposition ancillary to be gN m-2 d-1/, while the source file has kgN m-2 s-1.

Do you think that makes sense?
Do you think the source file is the correct one?

I did not know about it.
In that case, where is the historical source file (or SSP370 ancil file) from where I can take year 2014?

Also, which website/search did you do to get the outputs of the image you shared?

Cheers
Davide

Hi @atteggiani,

We only provide one nitrogen deposition field (STASH 884) in our model which I think is the sum of the four components (drynoy, wetnoy, drynhx, wetnhx). The units of g/m2/d are correct. You can download the individual components here:

https://esgf-node.llnl.gov/search/input4mips/

The nitrogen deposition file for the historical period (1850-2014) is here:

/g/data/p66/txz599/data/ancil/CMIP6/Ndep_1849_2015.anc

Cheers,
Tilo

Hi @tiloz,

I see now.
I will download the source files from the website you pointed out and try producing the field as sum of the four components.

I will also prepend the last year from the historical run and then duplicate the final year so the new ancil file will span from 2014 to 2101 (end of 2100 techically).

I should be able to provide you with the updated files within the end of the week.

Cheers
Davide

Hi @tiloz,

Please find the modified version of the file and script in the same directory: /scratch/public/dm5220/tilo

The updated gist is also available at the same link:

In the final ancil data:

• Year 2014 has been taken from the historical data.
    Historical data’s last year is actually 2015, not 2014.
    However, year 2015 is present in the source files.
    Therefore, in the final data, year 2014 has been taken from the historical data’s second-last year, whereas year 2015 comes from the source files;

• Years from 2015 to 2099 have been computed from the source files as the sum of the 4 fields you indicated:
    wetnoy, drynoy, wetnhx and drynhx;

• Years 2100 and 2101 have been computed by repeating year 2099 twice (since the source data ends at the end of 2099).

Please let me know if the processing done for the different years make sense to you, and if the new ndep ancil file has sensible values.

Cheers
Davide

1 Like

Hi @atteggiani,

the data is looking good and in line with the other scenarios. I have just set-up a new run for testing and it seems to run fine with the new ndep ancillary file.

Thanks again for your help with this!

Cheers,
Tilo

2 Likes