UM - Minimum working example?

Hi all.

While looking over the CLEX and NRI tutorials for AUS2200. I’m wondering if 21stCW would be well served by creating a very small UM test-suite (i.e. a minimum working example).

The UKMO UM tutorial here :

https://code.metoffice.gov.uk/doc/um/latest/um-training/index.html

refers to suite u-aa003 which runs a very simple N48 Endgame GA6 standard job (build, reconfigure, atmospheric). Of course, all the paths are hardcoded to the UKMO filesystem.

I’ve come across Paul Leopardi’s minimum-working-example for rose/cylc on gadi (u-cq161) which is a great introduction to how rose/cylc runs basic tasks on gadi.

A good workflow for new PhDs/Post-Docs could be:

• start with u-cq161
  • progress to an ACCESS/gadi equivalent of u-aa003
  • then move onto AUS2200 (e.g. Chermelle’s u-dg767 and u-dg768)

Does ACCESS-NRI currently have any UM minimum-working-example rose suites?

If not, is there any appetite within NRI to help build and support one?

Thanks,

Paul

1 Like

I’d say look at using one of the official GAL9 workflows rather than aa003 as a better representation of the current model (with site directories etc)

1 Like

I agree with Scott on on this. Also @cbengel u-dg767 and u-dg768 are not AUS2200, they are ACCESS-NRI copies of the Regional Ancillary Suite and Regional Nesting Suite.

Scott Wales has essentially answered this one.

Hi @Paul.Gregory,

Have you seen the ACCESS-NRI Hive Docs at https://access-hive.org.au?

If you look through the Run a Model section is that what you meant?

Please note, we have not finished all the steps required at ACCESS-NRI to officially support the regional nesting suite as yet. Once we have, we will add documentation for running the limited area (regional) model there.

In terms of providing support for a global hind-cast (as opposed to a global climate model set-up), if that is what you mean, I think it would be best to start talking with the Atmosphere Working Group. It may be non-trivial due to the initial condition data required, etc.

For those types of reasons the regional model example may be a better start despite the learning required.

Best regards,

Chermelle

1 Like

Hi Chermelle

Yes, I’ve seen the hive docs on how to run ACCESS GCM’s. What I was after was a smaller suite (the smallest possible!) to just run the UM, so it could be used to demonstrate how rose/cylc uses rose-app.conf and suite.rc to create a task graph to run UM executables and co-ordinates UM namelists and ancillary files etc.

I think it would be a good step before a user proceeds to running an ACCESS regional nesting suite.

I’ll follow Scott’s suggestion and build one based on GAL9.

I’ll let you know how I go.

Cheers,

Paul

2 Likes

Hi @Paul.Gregory,

I think what you describe can be very useful.
Something similar has been also voiced by other people in the community, so I think there are good reasons to start working on that.

I also think there might be very good space for collaboration both on the creation of the suite and for its documentation.

Cheers
Davide