6. Paleoclimate and ice sheet modelling

Paleoclimate and ice sheet modelling

Chair

Katrin Meissner (@Katrin), UNSW

Attendees

Lennox room (and online). See the main workshop help topic for zoom details.

Time

Aims

What are the current and future needs and where could ACCESS-NRI help support.

Notes

Conclusions

Feedback

If you want your contribution to exist beyond the room where the breakouts happen you should put your thoughts in a reply to this topic. We encourage all attendees to continue fruitful discussions in replies to this topic for as long as they wish (weeks, years …). This topic will remain available for as long as this site exists.

Note: This topic is part of the 2023 ACCESS Community Workshop main session

Regarding paleoclimate and ice sheet modelling - paleo configurations of the Antarctic Ice sheet are potentially fruitful constraints on the model physics etc of ice sheets and interactions with the rest of the earth system - particularly with the ocean which is a strong driver of Antarctic ice sheet due to its largely marine-terminating boundary .

Two points:
(1) I have added to the conversation on “Developing ACCESS-ESM1.5 for the past warm world of the Miocene” with details of past and present UM suites that use paleoclimate ancillaries, and their developers.
(2) I have briefly documented the structure of UM ancillary data, including conversion between STASH codes and NetCDF CF names.

The resolution requirements for ocean modelling in ice-shelf cavities was raised.
There are already finer resolution versions of major ocean models like MITgcm, NEMO and ROMS being used in that situation.
The development of generalized vertical coordinates in MOM6 might also be relevant. In fact most current ice sheet-shelf modelling is using a rather simple parameterization of ocean driven basal melting. The transport of heat by the ocean across the continental shelf also requires high resolution modelling. I suspect that support for nested resolution in the ocean model would be a more palatable approach than implementing a separate model of the Antarctic (or any other) coastal ocean.