Hi all,
Thank you to everyone who has provided input thus far.
I have compiled the feedback from the recent survey, past land working group materials and other comments provided here or directly to me. With a little help from copilot I was able to synthesize these five major themes, roughly in order of priority:
Priority 1: Australian landscapes, ecosystems and climate impacts
Priority 2: Human modification and management of landscapes
Priority 3: Regional and high-resolution land modelling
Priority 4: Landscape connectivity
Priority 5: Observation-constrained Earth system modelling
In addition to this, I have compiled a number of technical capabilities that are needed to support these scientific priorities, including:
Development workflows and model accessibility
Flexible model architecture and next-generation landscape representation
Scalable computing and parallel model infrastructure
Benchmarking, Calibration and Evaluation Infrastructure
Future computing including AI and software sustainability
Finally, I have identified some cross-cutting capabilities that could and/or should be considered. THis acknowledges that many of our future priorities are not purely “land model developments”, rather they cross into other domains such as the atmosphere, ocean or cryosphere.
Community-Driven Model Development (including CMIP), Evaluation and Tuning
Model-Data Integration and Observational Constraints
High-Resolution Modelling
Cryosphere Processes
AI, Machine Learning and Hybrid Modelling
For a look at the full document including descriptions and examples of each of these topics, see this draft document:
Scientific Priorities - Land Working Group - draft v1.pdf (84.5 KB)
It is currently longer than we want so I will try to condense and put it into the format that the ACCESS-NRI SAC want.
Further comments are welcome over the next two days!
Cheers,
Alex