This topic records meeting notes and action items from weekly CABLE4 planning.
January 25th 2024
For discussion (progress on tasks, questions, issues etc)
- Initially work on 3 tile version only for ACCESS implementation but need to be careful not to lose non-POP multi-tree, multi-grass pft capability.
- Choose how to treat shrubs. Probably need to treat as a tree not a grass. Already being treated as woody in POPLUC.
- POPLUC currently all vegetated or not. Should be able to handle a vegetated fraction to allow for fractional bareground, lake, ice, urban. Note that ACCESS currently does not allow fractional ice; grid-cell has to be all ice - possibly inherited from what JULES does.
- Will need to consider how LUH2 (or update) data gets used in the POPLUC-ACCESS workflow.
- Treatment of crop information from LUH2 will need consideration. Current POPLUC implementation may not be incorporating temporal change.
- @RachelLaw to look at grassy types and how many exist in a single grid-cell. Bare ground needed for dust. Should be able to handle a bare ground fraction and lake, ice, urban.
- LUH2 processing code to be copied from x45 to NRI space. @clairecarouge or team
- @juergen to check crops from current Trendy experiment
- Separate executable/inline code discussion scheduled for Feb 1. Let @clairecarouge / @inh599 know if any you have relevant input for consideration.
- @RachelLaw to cancel Feb 8 meeting (AMOS)
February 1st 2024
- CABLE-POP at ACCESS resolution - next steps.
- Has CABLE-POPLUC been run globally for future scenarios or higher than present-day CO2 concentration?
- All files needed for CABLE-POPLUC now copied to rp23. Run not yet tested.
- @Jhan tried running code with POP switched on from standard branch but need to use separate CABLE-POP branch. Use CABLE-POP-TRENDY branch.
- No POPLUC dynamics depends on whether c3/c4 - only photosynthesis. So potential to composite grass types when pass to POP. Anything to be considered in LUH2 e.g. harvest fraction.
- POP has been run for future scenarios (without LUC). Disturbance frequency kept constant. Could look at stress mortality outputs and impact on NPP. Australian work is showing mass die-back and recovery in some areas. Could be ‘quirk/bug’. May be fixed in CABLE-POP-TRENDY branch. Alison looking at in Australian case.
- POP hasn’t been run with phosphorus on. Will need to re-visit this. Also performance in ACCESS and whether would benefit from recalibration with newer datasets.
- Offline (CABLE-POP) runs also useful for tuning/calibrating nutrient cycles etc.
- What do we need/want for evaluation on land? Standardised/automated. Think about this for Hackathon. Also making use of ILAMB. Involvement of Land Working Group - and ESM working group.
- Separate executable has implications for offline runs as well.
- @clairecarouge to try a test run of CABLE-POP. @juergen available to help with error messages.
- ~8 variables at daily resolution. Have these all been cmorised? @inh599 to confirm what is available and what to run (from ESM1.5 or AM3). Note grid shift between ESM1.5 and AM3 so will need two offline set-ups to match the two grids.
Done. Details here: Run CABLE-POP at ACCESS Resolution - #2 by inh599
- Other input files/ancillaries will need to be reconciled in a staged process including gridinfo. Gridinfo may have been derived from ACCESS. @Jhan to check - also how ancillaries have been updated for AM3.
- @clairecarouge and team to look at formatting of ACCESS meteorology and changes required from cmorised files for CABLE-POP to read.
February 15th 2024
Previous actions status
- land-mask split with R converted to Python. @clairecarouge continuing with next steps with @Juergen 's support. Different solution will be required in ACCESS implementation.
- gridinfo: @Jhan has had a look. Need to confirm where inputs/ancillaries are different or the same between offline/online. @jhan to write summary.
- @juergen will give an overview over LUH2 data and Crops in Trendy CABLE-POPLUC.
- Separate executable vs inline decision. See decision and meeting notes. @clairecarouge / @inh599
- Latest single tree / grid-cell simulation @RachelLaw
- Proposal to create ‘cable tools’ to gather splitting/merging tools, pre/post processing.
- Systematic test of with/without diffuse fraction to check sensitivity
- Checking datasets for portability across CABLE-POP and ACCESS and which datasets we need to use from each configuration.
- Conversion of restart files between offline/online. What are the critical fields that need to be passed between configurations.
February 22nd 2024
Previous actions status
- @Juergen’s Crops presentation uploaded here: CABLE-POP runs - global parallel setup (without MPI) and sensitivity tests - Land Surface / CABLE - ACCESS Hive Community Forum (access-hive.org.au)
- GitHub Projects for organising tasks @clairecarouge
- Grass types in POPLUC. C3/C4 set at spin-up? Then crop/pasture/range fraction tracked within the grass tile? How? Fraction just used for harvest?
- @RachelLaw slides of POPLUC variables (forest/grass) change over time with some comparison to ACCESS. Slides are uploaded here: Managing CABLE-POP and ACCESS differences in vegetation distribution - Land Surface / CABLE - ACCESS Hive Community Forum (access-hive.org.au)
- C3/C4 split at spin-up time is limitation. Do we want to let this change over time as climate changes? Is there a need for mix of c3/c4 grasses in a grid-cell. Is the c4 fraction capability in CABLE still functional? Better to have the functionality to carry different grass/crop types in a grid-cell. Will have deal with how to manage transition and what is happening in the soil under each type within ‘grass’.
A post was merged into an existing topic: Run CABLE-POP at ACCESS Resolution
Previous actions status
- ACCESS/POPLUC landuse comparisons at a location (@RachelLaw )
- Does ACCESS resolution gridinfo exist? What did YPW pass onto @clairecarouge ?
- high level configuration options - 17 vs 27 tiles (@inh599 )
- SW WA does look odd. Most land use change in 1960s seems OK if a decade early. 2000 onwards looks odd. States and transitions should be consistent. Might be better to start with the states and determine transitions from that but need to consider further.
- ACCESS resolution gridinfo available on rp23. Also need to check whether it is on ESM1.5 or CM2 grid. Location of the files on N96 grid can be found here: crujra config at N96.
- @inh599 - UM limitations on number of tiles, mostly due to UKCA coding. Decision is important now for AM3 work.
- @inh599 started thinking about multiple grass types and will organise meeting.
- @Juergen to check POPLUC after 100 years to see how compares with LUH2.
- @inh599 to talk with Peter Briggs about how LUH2 processed for POPLUC.
- Audit of where tile/pft types are hard-coded across trunk and CABLE_POP branches. LS team.
Further information regarding the top level discussion around number of tiles:
@Jhan is attempting to run a 27 tile version of the proto-type AM3 to assess memory considerations.
Previous actions status