CMWG: Meeting notes 2023 (Archived)

This is an archive of the CMWG Meeting Notes from 2023.

2024 Meeting notes can be found here:

Date: 19/Apr/2023
Attendees: 18

Please feel free to add or update this post if anything is missing or not accurately captured.

  • Housekeeping time - use ANU Zoom for future meetings so they can be recorded

  • Plan is to put agenda and notes onto the Hive

  • Overview of aims

  • Presentation of some practical things

  • Introductions

    • Kelsey - the ACCESS-NRI liaison for this WG
    • Dave - ice/ocean modelling, cavity and small-scale are areas of interest
    • Ben - user of model data
    • Paul - from UTAS/IMAS, ice sheeting modelling, process oriented glacial specific modeller, interested in bridging with larger scale applications
    • Chen Zhao - coupled modeller, interested in large scale ice sheet modelling
    • Rich - Monash, is interested in all things ice sheets, coming from paleo perspective
    • John -
    • Alex - AAPP, interested in fast ice and dense water formation.
    • Lawrence - working PhD with Felicity and Rich, interested in shorter scale time scale processes in east Antarctica
    • Nzie - interested generally about the area
    • Andrew Kiss - ANU, part of the COSIMA community and working on ACCESS-OM3, interested in building bridges between communities
    • Siobhan - CSIRO, is interested in coupling of ice sheets with coupled models and interested in fast ice and icebergs
    • Yu Wang - AAPP, PhD student interested in subglacial and coupling with models
    • Xiaotian - postdoc at U. Wollongong, working on spatial statistics and looking at Antarctic glaciers
    • Pat - postdoc at AAPP, sea ice geochemist working on fast ice, interested in ice shelf and cavity interactions, and ecology on top of the ice sheets
    • Johanna - postdoc at Monash working on climate variability on ice sheets, interested in ice/ocean interactions, worked previously on PRISM and Greenland ice sheets.
    • Felicity - research fellow at Monash and part of SAFE and uses process based studies and physics of flow, linking to larger scale of climate and ice mass loss
    • Ben - principal scientist, Australian Antarctic Division and interested in porting knowledge from process studies into Australian coupled models and link to regional ocean and ice modelling
  • WG ToRs

    • Compute/storage resources will be available to the WG, more details to come. Encourage WG to use the Hive to share suggestions on how the WG could use these resources. Reach out to Ben and Felicity if anyone could make use of compute now - WG has a project in place now at NCI.
    • Meeting frequency - thinking every 4-6 weeks online and meeting 1-2/yr, maybe more frequent as starting out
      • Andrew Kiss - sharing example from COSIMA, meets weekly and holds a science talk
      • Topic for future - chat more about this
      • Paul - would be interesting to have science talks, would be cool to see what others are working on, get idea of the technical differences, demonstration or problem that has been solved. Could be nice way to dedicate a portion of the meeting.
      • Brief science talks could be really helpful
  • Overview of the WG mission and scope

    • Siobhan - question on ‘snow’ and ‘permafrost’ in the scope
    • Andrew - important to make sure to identify the key things of interest and make sure in scope, and okay to have some blurriness between other WGs
    • Overlap helps strengthen ties between the WGs
    • Subglacial hydrology and solid earth, not included but will be important to the dynamics - maybe we add some of these?
    • There are some discussions and linkages with AuScope for the solid earth area
    • Perhaps start a topic on the Hive to chat more on this, can develop over time
  • Near-term objectives

    • ACCESS Community Workshop
    • Could the Integrated Earth Workshop is also being held in Canberra the following week?
1 Like

Cryosphere WG meeting:

Attendees: 13


Paul Spence - Lessons learnt from COSIMA
- A bit of history on COSIMA
- Keys to success
- Practicalities, recommendations
- Challenges

Felicity - Ice sheet model coupling approach
- Working document that will be shared to the Forum
- Please download and add to the discussion (@fmccormack to add link to document)

Reminder - if you’d like to attend the WG meeting at the ACCESS Workshop (Thursday 7-Sep), please register/fill out google form by 3p today.

Attendees - as always, please feel free to add or update this post if anything is missing or not accurately captured.

Please see the link to the approach for ice sheet model coupling in this thread, where you can also comment: Cryosphere Working Group: ice sheet model coupling - #2 by fmccormack

Cryosphere WG meeting:

Attendees: 13

  • Seeking small team (2-3) to help draft the WG’s code of ethics
  • Nov 2nd will be the date of the next workshop
    • Aim is to select an ice sheet model
    • Draft of the schedule and more details to be shared shortly
  • Seeking a small team (2-3) to lead cookbook development
  • Presentation: Lenneke Jong (AAD) - Integrated Digital East Antarctica (IDEA)
  • Presentation: Aidan Heerdegen (ACCESS-NRI) - Background/overview of COSIMA’s cookbook and recipes
  • Presentation: Max Proft (ACCESS-NRI) - Demo of Model Evaluation and Diagnostics (MED) Portal
  • Ran out of time for Dan’s talk
  • Plan to organise another follow-up meeting to continue the discussion on workflows/recipes/etc.

Attendees - please feel free to edit this post if anything is missing or not accurately captured.

Cryosphere Modelling WG meeting:
Attendees: 13

Merit allocations:

Update from co-chairs:

  • Chen has joined as a co-chair

Review responses from developers (initial contact)

  • Spreadsheet: Ice sheet models - Google Sheets
  • Notes column shows initial feedback on whether there is capacity to support with coupling into ACCESS
  • Olga Sergienko is developing an ISM and will be part of MOM6 but at this stage there is no documentation on what that models has; although SSA model (no higher-order physics) but she’s happy to answer questions in the Developer Questionnaire.
  • Overall, happy with the initial feedback.
  • Comment from group about CISM could be easy to follow from the ocean/sea-ice perspective; will need to weigh the ease of coupling vs other aspects like the physics, etc.

Review google form responses to ToRs doc

  • 13 responses (6 ice sheet modellers)
  • Only 2 questions where we reached consensus
    • Hydrofrastrucre/surface hydrology scheme available (nice to have)
    • Code management for community development (essential)
  • Broader agreement across:
    • Code management for community development (essential)
    • Higher-order physics (essential)
    • Open and accessible code (essential)
    • Mass/energy conserving (essential)
    • Relationship with developers (essential)
    • Unstructured mesh (essential)
    • Automatic differentiation (nice to have)
  • Remaining criteria was less clear
  • Felicity will be doing a full summary and will share
  • Suggested next steps:
    • We had 10 criteria (including physics/schemes) that were identified as essential
    • Pending review, adopt these essential criteria
    • Determine which models adhere to these (including through discussions with developers)
    • Exclude models that do not meet these criteria
  • Relationship with developers generally considered essential
    • What minimum requirements do we expect from developers?
    • Do we exclude any models now if developers have said they are unable to support? (Grisli, KORI, MALI)
  • Higher-order physics generally considered essential
    • Do we exclude any models that do not adhere?
  • Discussion:
    • Developer support
      • We want really good relationships, open, sees advantage that Australia can provide
      • Want a 2-way relationship, and a way to get support
      • Open to making changes
      • Established user community, having more than just a single developer and a community to engage and tap into for expertise.
    • Suggestions
      • Could aim to have the nice to have category of criteria be things we might want to see down the road.
      • Rule out those that can’t offer development support now.
      • Wait on ruling out based on higher-order physics to chat with developers (check before eliminating)
      • Could also recast the developer relationship to how welcoming they are to suggestions for variations / modifications.
  • Request to the WG - need help populate spreadsheet on the potential models: Ice sheet models - Google Sheets
    • Timing: aiming for early January
    • Volunteers from meeting:
      • Roland - SICOPOLIS
      • Poul - CISM
    • Start with essential criteria - if we find out any lacking, then we don’t worry about fully populating

Timeframe for determining ISM

  • Publish essential/desirable criteria (aiming for end of Dec 2023)
  • Developer questionnaire (early Jan)
  • Aiming for March for the expert panel

Other things

  • Ethics subgroup: Pat, Lawrence, Kelsey
    • Currently adopted COSIMA code of ethics in the interim but will this group will work on feedback from September WG meeting and if we want to develop anything further
    • Compute subgroup: Dan Atwater, …any other volunteers?
  • Will share a spreadsheet calling for any reference datasets that the WG would like to see available at NCI?
  • Next year we’ll be going to monthly meetings - please remove the 2023 calendar invite if you have it locally added.
  • Next meeting will be in March - we will add the scheduled dates/info to the Hive.