Project planning for CMIP7

As discussed at today’s TWG it would be helpful to have a shared project management overview, particularly as we work towards CMIP7 timelines.

Github’s Kanban board doesn’t include a timeline (AFAIK) so is probably unsuitable.

Does anyone know of a github-integrated gantt chart tool? I came across ganttlab which seems promising but is apparently no longer being developed.

Would we want something that covers all model components for CM3/ESM3 or just the COSIMA components?

Ganttify will have github integration “soon” but is proprietary

The “new” GitHub projects interface (not the old plain Kanban one) supports adding a timeline view as a “Roadmap” across a project, maybe that’s suitable?

2 Likes

Ah, thanks @angus-g I didn’t know about the roadmap view. It looks like it might fit the bill - have you used it?

The “new” GitHub projects interface (not the old plain Kanban one) supports adding a timeline view as a “Roadmap” across a project, maybe that’s suitable?

This looks good, and can be integrated with Issues/PRs etc and is a platform we are all already on.

The only limitation I see is that there are no “task dependencies”, i.e. you can’t set the time for a task to start at the end of another task (or similar). This means it will be a little painful to manage changing dates, but for our use case, I don’t see this as a barrier to using it.

I’ve set up a CMIP7 project here CMIP7 · GitHub and begun populating it. Please add relevant items/issues, and add the “cmip7” label to relevant issues.

Click the “project details” icon (top right) for more info on what we’re trying to do. Also let me know if you don’t have access.

1 Like