ESM Working group: Introduce yourself

This topic is where you can introduce yourself to the other members of the ESM Working Group.

Feel free to put as much information as you like, but it might be good to have a brief introduction to your background, where you are now, specific areas of interest you might have in Earth System Modelling, and on what you are interested in collaborating in the future.

Hi! Iā€™m Aidan, the ACCESS-NRI liaison for the ESM Working Group.

Iā€™m also the Model Release Team Lead at ACCESS-NRI, which means creating systems to make sure all the models have a high quality, consistent testing framework, to ensure high consistently high quality models for the community. Iā€™m also responsible for ensuring the models will be easy to use, discoverable and hopefully easy to contribute back to.

High quality, consistent and easily discoverable provenance information is also a super-important part of model support, and so something Iā€™m keen to build into all our systems at ACCESS-NRI.

Before joining ACCESS-NRI I was part of the CMS team at the ARC Centre of Excellence for Climate Extremes (CLEX), and before that the CMS team at the ARC Centre of Excellence for Climate System Science( ARCCSS). My primary role in both centres was supporting ocean models.

1 Like

Hi all, my name is Wilma, Iā€™m a research fellow at the ARC Centre for Climate Extremes. I currently work with ACCESS-CM2 to understand the role of ocean resolution on the coupled system. My background is in ocean modelling with a particular interest in the Southern Ocean.

2 Likes

Hello, I am Laurie, one of the ESM working group co-chair. I am Associate Prof. at the CCRC, UNSW. My research focuses on understanding the impacts of changes in oceanic circulation on the climate and carbon cycle. One of the models we use in my group is the ACCESS-ESM1.5.

2 Likes

Hi, I am Katrin. I work at UNSW and I am planning to run deep time paleo simulations with the ACCESS-ESM1.5,

2 Likes

Hi! Iā€™m Shayne, one of the ESM working group co-chairs. I am Associate Prof. at Monash University. My research focuses on understanding drivers of climate variability and change, including the major modes of tropical climate variability and their climatic impacts. I have used ACCESS v1.3, ACCESS ESM1.5 and ACCESS CM2 in my work to date, and often also carry out AMIP style AGCM experiments and forced OGCM experiments.

2 Likes

Hi everyone. I am Tilo and a co-chair of this working group. I am a research scientist at CSIRO based in Aspendale VIC and my main research interests are focused on land carbon cycle interactions and investigating the role of the terrestrial biosphere in mitigation and managing carbon. I have been leading the development of ACCESS-ESM1.5 and I am using the model for a variety of applications, for example, to study the implications of potential temperature overshoots, the reversibility of the climate and carbon cycle and climate stabilisation at different global warming levels.

Hi all, Iā€™m Eun-Pa, another co-chair of this ESM working group. Iā€™m a research scientist at the Bureau of Meteorology. My research has been focused on variabilities, interactions, and long-term changes of the large-scale circulations such as ENSO, IOD, SAM, and the Antarctic stratospheric polar vortex that act as sources of predictability for the Australian climate variations. Using the ACCESS-S (ACCESS-Seasonal), the Bureauā€™s seasonal forecast system, I conduct forecast sensitivity experiments to atmosphere vs ocean initial conditions to understand their relative contributions to climate extremes. The research version of the ACCESS-S is available on gadi.

1 Like

Hi everyone, I am Jo Brown and Iā€™m a senior lecturer at University of Melbourne in the School of Geography, Earth and Atmospheric Sciences. I am interested in running ACCESS-ESM1.5 for palaeoclimate simulations including Holocene and glacial climates and freshwater ā€œhosingā€ experiments under past climate conditions. I have previously run a range of models including HadCM3, FOAM and MUGCM as well as ACCESS-ESM1.5.

2 Likes

Hi everyone, Iā€™m Harun Rashid. I am a principal research scientist in CSIRO and leader of the Coupled Climate Modelling Team (used to be the home of ACCESS, now shared with ACCESS-NRI-:). My research interest is in the evaluation of ACCESS performance, especially in relation to the simulation of ENSO and detection and attribution of historical and future climate change. I also investigated the origin of tropical rainfall biases, global warming impacts on ENSO simulation, temporal variations of surface temperatures, and separation of forced and free climate variability in ACCESS. As a member of the ACCESS team, Iā€™m interested about improving all aspects of ACCESS model performance.

Recently, I became a scientific steering group (SSG) member of the newly formed WCRP core project: Earth System Modelling and Observations (ESMO) (Overview). I will seek your advice on various aspects of ESM development and observations to feed into ESMO SSG activities.

2 Likes

Hello, I am Griffith Young (Griff is preferred) and I work for the Bureau of Meteorology in the Coupled Modelling Team (led by @debbie_h) in the Earth Systems Modelling Section. I have been working for the Bureau for 12 years with a focus on Seasonal Prediction. I am fluent in ACCESS-S and less fluent in related topics. I am very interested in making technology accessible to all and I am very aware that when something doesnā€™t work for people it is often a very small piece of information that is missing. I like to help people find that missing piece.

2 Likes

Hello, I am Vinord Anand, I work in operational weather forecasting at BOM.
I have been working on a few ML projects based on making predictions (for thunderstorm TS and fog FG occurrence in particular) at point locations for last several years.

Initially I had experimented with using historical observation data and pattern matching - looking for analogues or ā€˜similarā€™ situations in the past to guess outcome w.r.t to TS/FG on any given day/point location.

Over the last few years I have tried to use classification models such as logistic regression and gradient boosting trees to make prediction for fog at a few airports.

My interest in this workshop:

1. connect with people who may be working on similar local/point based weather forecasting
  2. find means to access Access Reanalysis data, real time observation and point based or local area slices of latest NWP runs using python
  3. Access to online platforms for hosting/running jupyter notebook/ dash - JIVE like platforms
  4. how ML can be used for bias correcting point based data such as dewpoint temperatures Td (fog prediction is very sensitive to Td)
  5. Using ML for point based weather prediction using historical and NWP data
1 Like