The Earth System Model Evaluation Tool (ESMValTool) is a tool developed for evaluation of Earth System Models in CMIP (Climate Model Intercomparison Projects). It allows for routine comparison of single or multiple models, either against predecessor versions or against observations. ESMValTool is a community-developed climate model diagnostics and evaluation software package, driven both by computational performance and scientific accuracy and reproducibility. It is open to both users and developers, encouraging open exchange of diagnostic source code and evaluation results from the Coupled Model Intercomparison Project CMIP ensemble.
ACCESS-NRI is releasing an NCI configuration of ESMValTool under the name ESMValTool-workflow.
ESMValTool-workflow is the ACCESS-NRI software and data infrastructure that enables the ESMValTool evaluation framework on NCI Gadi. It includes the ESMValTool/ESMValCore Python packages, the ESMValTool collection of recipes and diagnostics and some observational datasets. ESMValTool-workflow is configured to use the existing NCI supported CMIP data collections.
ESMValTool-workflow v1.0 includes support for:
- ESMValCore v2.9
- ESMValTool v2.9
- ESMValTool Tier 1 and Tier 2 recipes with live status update available here.
- Data Pool of ESMValTool Tier 1 and Tier 2 observation datasets via the ACCESS-NRI Replicated Datasets for Climate Model Evaluation.
- Support for CMIP[5-6] data collections at NCI
- Native support of ERA5 monthly datasets.
- Nightly updates of the ESMValTool development container.
ESMValTool-workflow v1.0 includes limited support for:
- CMIP3 NCI data collections
- ERA5 daily datasets
- Tier 3 recipes
ESMValTool-workflow v1.0 currently DOES NOT support:
- Diagnostics written in Julia
- ARE (Jupyter, VDI)
module use /g/data/xp65/public/modules module load esmvaltool
We are providing a series of videos to help you get started on NCI Gadi.
A quick guide is also available on the ACCESS-Hive.
We welcome contributions and feedback through the ACCESS-Hive forum. You can also request help through support.