:woman_technologist: :man_technologist: :woman_technologist:
:man_technologist: :woman_technologist: :man_technologist:

Happy new year all!

Hackathon v2.0 is happening!

We have arranged for three in-person group gathering locations:

Canberra :point_right:t3: ACCESS-NRI conference room
Sydney :point_right:t3: CCRC Conference Room/Boardroom
Hobart :point_right:t3: IMAS, Aurora theater

The event is planned for 9:30 until 4:30. Lunch will be provided to the locations mentioned above. If you are joining from elsewhere then you might need to secure your own lunch/coffee/snacks.

More info coming!

6 Likes

Regarding lunch, I suggest we get pizzas. Mostly because stereotypically that’s what all hackers eat in the movies. We’ll get climate-friendly vegetarian and vegan pizzas.

The COSIMA Hackathon v2.0 organising committee needs to get an idea of the people that plan to be on site at the locations above to arrange for lunch. If you plan to attend the hackathon in person then please add a heart :heart: emoji in the corresponding post below that mentions the location you plan to be.

(But please, join us anyway… don’t think “oh… that sounds sweet event but I didn’t put my heart :heart: emoji so I won’t join them and stay home instead”.)

1 Like

I’ll join the hackathon and have lunch at Canberra :point_right:t3: ACCESS-NRI conference room

:heart: :point_left:t3: Navid’s emoji because, apparently, I cannot “like” my own post

19 Likes

I’ll join the hackathon and have lunch at Sydney :point_right:t3: CCRC Conference Room/Boardroom

6 Likes

I’ll join the hackathon and have lunch at Hobart :point_right:t3: IMAS, Aurora theater

12 Likes

At the moment we started gathering potential tasks to be undertaken during the Hackathon v2.0.

There is a Github project for Hackathon v2.0 :point_right: COSIMA Hackathon v2.0 👩🏽‍💻🧑🏻‍💻👩🏼‍💻 · GitHub

Feel free to add any ideas for a task that either you feel you wanna undertake or that you feel it’ll be beneficial to the COSIMA community! Add your ideas/suggestions/questions as an issue at the COSIMA recipes repository :point_right: Issues · COSIMA/cosima-recipes · GitHub

1 Like

What will happen during Hackathon v2.0?

9:30am: we all have a common Zoom session starting at 9.30am. We’ll go through the Hackathon v2.0 Project Task list for potential things that people can undertake during the hackathon. People will pick a task of their liking or propose something that they feel would contribute to the community.

After that, we’ll have two short-ish (20-30min) optional sessions:

• cosima-cookbook 101: what is it, what is it used for, how to use it by @Aidan
    followed by
  • git & GitHub 101: demystifying how one makes contributions to cosima-recipes repository by @angus-g

People should feel free to skip those and just keep working on their task.

People could work in pairs/teams if they prefer. And there will always be people around (either in Zoom or in real-life to ask questions regarding python/git/github/ocean physics…

12:45pm: lunch + coffee/tea/chai

3.30pm: we all have a common zoom and see where we are at and what some people need. E.g., some may be done and want help making a pull request. Some others might have gotten stuck somewhere… etc

4:30pm: Hackathon v2.0 comes to an end. Of course github commits and pull request reviews and what not will keep coming even beyond that for the next few days/weeks (this last statement comes from Hackathon v1.0 previous experience)

> 4.30pm: In-person group gatherings that involve beverages :beers::wine_glass::cocktail::tropical_drink::beverage_box: or snacks :fries::cookie::stew: or what not are strongly encouraged!

Zoom Details (the usual COSIMA meeting Zoom link)

https://uni-sydney.zoom.us/j/85790057720?pwd=M2RxSlVXdjYyQnpzNk5aa2JSaUl1UT09

Zoom Meeting ID: 857 9005 7720
Password: 815243

2 Likes

Other people are encouraged to post in this thread. It’s been a bit of a monologue… Raise a question/concern/discuss your emotions surrounding the hackathon…?

1 Like

Everyone should check out the github project page and start adding their ideas/what they want to work on to it.

Even if you don’t have an idea you can have a look at one of the ideas already there and assign yourself to it (click on the card and then click “assignees”)!

Only 5 attending at UNSW so far. Any Sydneysiders able to whip up a bit more enthusiasm, or let folks know that might not have seen the announcements/forum threads? @JuliaN? Any internal CCRC mailing lists/slack to advertise the hackathon?

@navidcy is it worth making a reply for those who will be joining remotely? To gauge some idea of numbers and so they don’t feel left out.

Nice to see you on board the forum @fabiobdias and welcome back!

I’ll email the Matt England group list now.

Planning to send another email to COSIMA-announce tomorrow.

1 Like

You’d expect that Sydney, the city of millions… even simply based on statistics one would expect that few more would be keen. :slight_smile:

@Aidan why do you have an ACCESS-NRI logo on your avatar? How do we get badges like that?

They’re called “flair” in discourse world, and requires the use of groups. I’d canvassed if we wanted to use these in the “staff” category for site admins, but I’ve moved that post to site feedback to make it visible and get some … well feedback

related:

1 Like

Hi Ryan et al. Wondering if a certain level of permissions is required to assign yourself to a card / issue? Can a noob assign themselves?

You are about to get all the permissions at the repo!

1 Like

Thanks, @navidcy - THAT is some seriously quick service!

1 Like

Do we need to do this for everyone that’s signed up for the hackathon?

If we use the list view of the project board, I’ve added a text-only field for people to sign themselves up to tasks?

No we don’t. But I try to do it for anybody who might be contributing since it makes things smoother (they don’t have to fork the repo).

But anybody can contribute! And there will be a GitHub tutorial given by @angus-g explaining how you can fork and contribute to the repo!