NUOPC coupling update

Title

NUOPC coupling update

Speaker

Kieran Ricardo (@kieranricardo) ACCESS-NRI

Recording

Weston Theatre (and online). See the main workshop help topic for zoom details.

Time

2:00-2:12pm

Abstract

Feedback

If you want to ask questions of the speaker you must reply to this topic. We encourage all speakers and attendees to continue fruitful discussions in replies to this topic for as long as they wish (weeks, years …). This topic will remain available for as long as this site exists.

Note: This topic is part of the 2023 ACCESS Community Workshop main session

1 Like

@kieranricardo

We have an ice-sheet/ocean coupling framework built in ESMF - called FISOC. The paper that describes that is attached here: GMD - The Framework For Ice Sheet–Ocean Coupling (FISOC) V1.1

The github code is here: GitHub - RupertGladstone/FISOC: Framework for ice sheet ocean coupling

Wrappers (caps?) have been written for a couple of different models now for ice sheet models Elmer/ice and icepack and ocean models ROMS and FVCOM - would be good to bring in MOM6 too @Hallberg-NOAA.

How easy would it be to get FISOC into the NUOPC framework do you think? Perhaps a bigger chat needed.

2 Likes

Hi @bgf, thanks for your question! I had a brief look at the FISOC code + paper and from what I’ve seen I think it should be pretty straightforward to port this approach to the NUOPC framework with the CMEPs mediator. There seems to a pretty clear mapping between FISOC and NUOPC:

• FISOC_ISM_Wrapper_*.f90 corresponds to NUOPC caps (wrappers)

• FISOC_coupler.f90 corresponds to esmFldsExchange_*_mod.F90 files (these just specify how different fields are mapped e.g. the ACCESS one we’re working on here)

• I think most (maybe all?) of the other functionality exists in CMEPS

It sounds like the caps/wrappers you’re interested in already exist, so it might be a matter of just writing the esmFldsExchange_*_mod.F90, compiling the nuopc caps with CMEPs, and running. And we have build and run scripts that you should be able to use. Happy to chat further, and help with the implementation if you decide to go ahead.

1 Like